Thursday, January 5, 2012

52 Meet Ups in 2012




I must be crazy, at least that's what my coworkers and friends are telling me, but I came up with an idea on New Year's Day that really thrilled me: I'm going to join 52 or more Meet Ups and attend one meeting for each this year.

One Meet Up a week.

My job is very busy and I have to go to so many events for work that sometimes I just hole up in my house an entire weekend, or every evening for a week if I can get away with it, and try to reclaim my time. People in general are starting to annoy me, so I need some perspective! I need to throw myself in to meeting new people and like them again.

Of course I see family and friends. I belong to two writing critique groups. I go to lots of movies. I walk. I go to readings and travel. But things need shaking up. I need shaking up. In a GOOD way.

I also lost some friends this year - not like that - through moves or just drifting apart. It's not as easy to make new friends in your forties as it is as a kid or in college or in your twenties. I do usually meet and make new friends, somehow they just show up, but why not be more proactive?

It's more than that, though. I'm starting this project in order to:

- Make new friends

- Explore my city and surrounding areas (see things I haven't seen)

- Meet Mr. Right for Me

- Test and refine social skills (we could all use help here. It's hard to just go right up and talk to people when you don't know anyone - or at least it's not easy for me, without context - work event, for example)

- Expand horizons in general - try some things I would normally other try (like bellydancing, which is on the list)

And since I'm a writer, these meet ups will give me more experiences that might feed into a story one day.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not doing it expressly for that purpose! I'm in to fully participate as myself, first and foremost. Not be the observer, storing up info. But, if someday I have a character who takes belly dancing classes, well then I'll know how to write about that.

On my list is a mix of basic and some off beat stuff. For example - I'm going to a knitting group one week, but the week before I'm attending a meeting of the local science fiction society. Another meet up is a star gazing party. Another is a visit to Gettysburg with a group into the paranormal. Hiking, travel, yoga, a full moon circle, meditation, dancing.

If I like a group, I'll go again. I can't just hop from group to group like stones over the social pond. One must fall in somewhere.

I can see the crash and burn already, can't you? But I'm game and so we begin with a hiking event on Saturday!

1 comment: